About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Geo-Bee

I love maps.  I love maps so much that I even love reading about people who love maps.  Map-geeks, we call ourselves.  My 2 most worn pieces of reading material are

1. my old Betty Crocker cookbook and
2. my US atlas.

I loved reading MapHeads, a book of essays about maps and geography that even my dad, who taught me to love maps and books, found "boring."

So it is my great pleasure to announce that I have passed along my love of maps and geography to J-dude.  J-dude's school has a Geography Bee and he was picked as one of 5 kids in his sixth grade team to participate in the bee.  I thought the bee was tomorrow after school, but...it was today and I missed it.  Sigh.  Especially since the Dude got 4th place out of all 28 6th, 7th AND 8th graders to participate.  He claims it was good we were not there, so as not to make him nervous.  But still wish I'd had the date right.

I asked J-dude some of the questions in the Bee.  Just in case I had forgotten he is a sixth grader, he reminded me by saying..."I don't remember" with a little sneer in his voice.    I bugged him and bugged him and he said:  "It was about 2 mountain ranges, I could tell it was Chinese or Belgian, but it was a Japanese word and I don't remember."

I am not making this up.

So either
1.  Sixth graders are programmed to drive their parents crazy, or
2.  We should be worried about the level of geography knowledge among middle-schoolers, or
3.  All of the above.

What.Ever.  (My sixth grade response to not knowing the answer.)  I am still very, very proud of my boy.

5 comments:

TNTINGLEY said...

WOW!!!! That's good, Jeremiah.

Collagemama said...

Hey, this is very, VERY awesome. Danger Baby got to go all the way to Ft. Worth to compete at the next level of the Geography Bee, but I never got to attend a bee. The more you know about the world, the more you're likely to care and protect it! Congratulations to the J Dude!

Kathleen said...

Congrats to the J-Dude!!

ted said...

Geography is good but who wants to read about it when they can read about their Grandson.

Peg Kirk said...

OMG. I'm married to a map fanatic. We have bookshelves full of them. Would you like me to have John will them to you in case he ever gets around to leaving this earth? Congrats to J-Dude on his geography prowess.

Peg