About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

True Love

Watching the Cubs-Cardinals game last night on WGN while also skyping and talking with The Player, I had a wonderful epiphany!  I realized that the way I feel about the Cubs is true honest love.   I'm talking about the abundant, wasteful love that Dom Crossan (or maybe it's Spong, I can't remember) says we should feel for everything and everyone if we want to be like Jesus (pronounced Hay-Suess if you are watching baseball.) 

I am proud of the Cubs no matter who is on the team.  I love them win or lose.  I don't expect anything from them (except to show up and play the game with heart) but I always hope for them to do their best.  I might have a short moment of disappointment when they leave the bases loaded over and over in a game, but I don't dwell on it.  Not because I don't care, oh I do care, but I don't take it personally.

I don't expect them to win the World Series for me.  I would rather see them get a lot of doubles and singles and make some great defensive plays on a day to day basis than watch a couple guys pumped up on steroids hit a bunch of home runs.  I want them to enjoy themselves.  I loved watching Matt Garza hanging over the railing cheering on his rookie players when they were at bat yesterday.  That's abundant love, a pitcher on his off day acting like a 9 year old to get his teammates fired up. 

I realize the Cubs don't love me back, not personally.  But just by being who they are, day in and day out, and sharing our common love for The Game, they bring me joy.  

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

Happy for your love and joy.

Spong! I remember because of a particular trembling incident on a train and because of the boing-boing of his name.

ted tingley said...

All that love. I wish I was a Cub.

Susan Ryder said...

Yes it's Spong, and so, did you have any other love epiphanies last night while watching the Cubs with the Player? I worry about the Player when he reads the above, as I wouldn't want him to be competing against the Cubs for you love. Oh wait, it's the Cubs, nevermind. ;-D

ron hardy said...

The bases are loaded, one out, two strikes, two balls, and... and.... shucks, I did it again. Hit into a double play. Now I will probably be platooned.

Collagemama said...

Now I will have to look up Spong. Thanks for so many things to think about when the game is rained out.