About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Stupendous!

Happy Birthday Mom!

My folks will be visiting this weekend.  I am taking them out to dinner Saturday night.  But don't tell them, it's a surprise!  I'd cook dinner for them on the grill, but...well...you know, the starlings.

Last night J-dude had baseball practice.  The coach finally got to see the kid's arm in action.  He was duly impressed.  I think J will be getting his coveted chance to pitch this year. 


Today the boy has to give a 3 to 5 minute presentation at school, teaching something he knows how to do to his classmates.  He is going to demonstrate how to throw 4 different baseball pitches.  We practiced in the backyard yesterday afternoon.  I am happy to report that he wants me to come to school to help with his demonstration by being his catcher.  Yes, J-dude, I will be there!  Wild horses and baby starlings can't keep me away. 

Yesterday the girl was giving me some compliments that sounded so sweet and authentic.  At first.  It started with "Mom, you have a loving heart."  Yes, yes I do honey.   "Mom, you have a great sense of humor."  Why thank you Sisi, I think so.  And then, as I was shuffling around the kitchen in baggy gray sweats and a ratty t-shirt, "And Mom, you look stupendous in that outfit." 

Really!?  Hmm.  Oddly enough she wasn't about to ask for something or tell me that she had spilled red koolaid on the new carpet.  I'm not sure what she was up to.  Practicing for a career in politics?  Just checking to see if I was listening?  In any event, I didn't say anything.  I just peered over my stupendous glasses and gave her the look.  You know the look.  The one that says "how gullible do you think I am?"  Then I hugged her.  The top of her head fits right under my chin now.  It's a perfect height.  I would tell her, again, not to grow anymore, but it doesn't do any good.

6 comments:

Kathleen said...

You are stupendous!

Ellen said...

Yes, you are stupendous-in any outfit. And I won't spill the beans that you are taking your mom and dad out to dinner Saturday night either. Love you, girl. I remember when you were the same age as Sierra. Where have the years gone?

I would LOVE to be there to see the demonstration on pitching too. Don't suppose we will get to see a practice, will we?

ted tingley said...

Sons and daughters are the best kind of people,
next to moms.

Kim said...

Mom - yes, Jeremiah has practice at noon Saturday if it doesn't rain. Dad - and Dads!!!

Collagemama said...

Fabulous and stupendous, and you can jog out to the mound for a chat if J gets nervous.

Ellen said...

We'll be there for the practice. GOOD!!!! I want to be able to say "I knew him when"